Due to food allergies, I have to be more proactive about the food I eat and the products in them. I've read up on how they make some of the food additives -and honestly some of it makes you want to never eat again. But we all know that's not an option, so how do you still eat, still indulge without adding chemicals to your diet that are not only harmful to your body - but you don't want to know how they make them!
I've seen similar books that tell you what you should eat as an alternative but Unjunk Your Junk Food doesn't just tell you what to avoid but it tells you why!
Unjunk Your Junk Food was written by Andrea Donsky (Co-Founder of NaturallySavvy.com), Randy Boyer and Lisa Tsakos. The goal of the book other than to find out what chemicals you're really eating, to make sure you know the importance of what is in your food. Several of the chemicals in your food can be linked to heart disease, diabetes and even cancer.
The book even includes a list of "The Scary Seven" - 7 of the worst additives that could be in your food including:
- HFCS: High-Fructose Corn Syrup (AKA glucose-fructose in Canada);
- TRANS-FATS: Anything listed as âpartially hydrogenatedâ or âhydrogenatedâ (includes vegetable shortening);
- MSG: Monosodium glutamate;
- ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS: Any artificial flavoring;
- ARTIFICIAL COLORS: Any type of artificial dyes;
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS: Chemical sweeteners including Aspartame, Splenda (sucralose), Ace-K (Acesulfame Potassium), Saccharine, etc.
- PRESERVATIVES: Polysorbate 60, 65 & 80, TBHQ, Sodium Benzoate, BHA, BHT, Sulfur Dioxide (sulfites).
I was actually shocked at the amount of the bad ingredients in items that were suppose to be gluten free and "better" for me. Was it necessary for them to add them all to make it "taste" more real? I was able to cook items from scratch without those ingredients. Like you - I don't have a big vat of MSG just sitting around to add to meals.
After reading the book, I pay more attention to that pesky ingredient list on the side of all our food. Now I'm not only looking to make sure I can eat it without getting sick, but I'm also making sure my snacks don't have more added ingredients than we need. Why add all the chemicals to our food if they're only going to hurt our bodies!?
You can find Unjunk Your Junk Food at Barnes and Noble or you can purchase it Online on Amazon Here
'Like' Naturally Savvy on Facebook and 'fan' them on Twitter for your chance to win great prizes.