Posted by Becky Fixel aka Week99er
Here's a recipe that hits all of the right spots - it's the complete comfort food and still manages to get them to eat their veggies! Now the recipe originally was not gluten free, but I have adapted it so you can make it gluten free. If you don't have to worry about your dinner being gluten free - then watch for the notes below. Otherwise just enjoy it!
- 1 32 oz bag of Tater Tots
- 1 10 oz bag of mixed veggies (thawed)
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 16 oz shredded cheese (remember for gluten free shred your own)
- 10 oz white button mushrooms - washed and stem removed*
- 1 medium onion*
- 2 tbsp butter*
- 1 tbsp garlic*
- 1 tsp salt*
- 1 tsp pepper*
- 2 tbsp white rice flour*
- 2 cups milk*
*If you're not making this gluten free Skip steps 4-6. Instead use 1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup and 10 oz of milk instead of the 2 cups in the recipe. You also will not need all of the ingredients starred above*
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 13 x 9 glass casserole dish with your tater tots. Create a "basket" out of your tots - completely cover the base of the dish and then build up the side of the wall until you are out of tater tots.
3. Place your casserole dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. This helps your tots get nice and crispy and support the filling. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Thinly slice your mushrooms and onion. Place in a medium sauce pan with the garlic and butter. Sweat the onions and mushrooms until they are soft and slightly brown.
5. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
6. Place your mushroom mixture into a food processor with the rice flour, salt and pepper. Pulse on low until the ingredients are mixed well and in small pieces.
Look you've made a base for your own Cream of Mushroom Soup! You will only need 1/2 of this for the recipe, so store the rest in some tupperware and put it in the freezer for future use!
7. In a large skillet brown 1 lb of ground beef. Make sure you drain off the grease.
8. Add in the bag of vegetables and 1/2 of your mushroom soup base. Add 2 cups of milk and mix well.
9. Pour your ingredient mixture into your tater tot basket and use your spoon to even out the top of the mixture.
10. Cover the top of the whole dish with the cheddar cheese.
11. Bake your casserole at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Remember that the majority of ingredients are precooked, so the baking only helps the flavors meld and the cheese melt!